Sunday, November 30, 2008

Season of the Bitter-Sweet

Clarke and I have just returned from a "bitter-sweet" trip home to Pennsylvania. My dear step-father passed away in October, and, because Clarke had not been able to travel then, this was the first opportunity we had to gather with my family to help make decisions about the contents of the home my parents purchased over 25 years ago. I spent two full afternoons with my sister-in-law, Desi, in the huge attic which was loaded with every imaginable item. Every time one of the four of us "kids" moved, more things found their way to the attic. We found quite a few treasures and, thankfully, lots of empty boxes. My sister-in-law, Susan, and brother Matt filled up their trailer with items they had left behind years ago including a highchair they hope will be used by their future first grandchild! Another day, cold and sunny, we all converged and spent a lot of effort in the yard - mulching up fallen leaves with the riding mower, raking, and weeding. My sister, Amy, reclaimed an artistic stepping stone path Matt had built next to our mother's favorite place - the screened porch. Whenever someone was cold and hungry, we'd stop by the kitchen to enjoy some of Clarke's homemade chicken corn soup and a big cup of my brother, Tom's, excellent coffee. Both food and company warmed us as we shared stories and memories. As I finished my last project outside that day, I spied a gallon jug under some shrubs near the back property line. I crawled in to grab it and ,as I looked up, there was a spray of orange and yellow. It was a vine of bittersweet. Just like our trip. There is still much to do and I can hardly wait to go back for more memories.

0 comments: